Wednesday, October 27, 2010

[Things I love] The Sigma Aldrich catalog


Despite not being in charge of a lab for 3 years now, and therefore not having placed an order with them, I am still on Sigma Aldrich's mailing list. This is, I think, a good place to be. Every year I eagerly await the Aldrich Chemistry Catalog, which features their annual artistic selection. More recently, the cover has been printed on canvas-texture stock. I adore that this catalog selling all varieties of noxious chemicals and potions gives an artistic nod to the crazies who started it all. The past three catalog covers have been paintings of alchemists. I don't know further back than that. The alchemist discovering phosphorous was repeated on several covers.

Above is "The Alchemist" by Newell Convers Wyeth, which was featured on the 2009-2010 cover.

Yes, I decorate my cube with them and am heavily considering classing up my cut-outs with some matting.

3 comments:

  1. You should check the Aldrichimica Acta from the same company. It comes out every quarter and it always has a beautiful painting on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if Alfred Bader, his museum, or the company ever has any plans to put together a collection of all the covers over the years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have the collection was given to me 1985 when i was at the uni of western australia..........superb

    ReplyDelete