Sunday, January 16, 2011

30 years down, 70 to go (feeling optimistic here)


I keep forgetting that I'm supposed to be lying in bed today, weeping for my lost youth. I just haven't the inclination to do so. For one thing, what loss? I still think the infinite slide is a fantastic use of the Portal gun. Ten year old me would have thought so as well, but now I have the benefit of wisdom that comes with age. I would be sure to wear pants if my infinite metal slide were in the sun, for one thing.

A list, because lists are fun, of things I've done:
  • Visited 32 of the US states
  • Been caving
  • Found out who my real friends are and realized they are greater in number than I thought.
  • Made mistakes. Big ones. And hopefully learned from them.
  • Made it through school. Got a couple of degrees to show for it.
  • Got a job that I've now held for almost precisely 6 years.
  • Saw the sun rise over Icelandic glaciers from an airplane window.
  • Realized that what everybody else thinks about what you do actually doesn't matter. They're not the ones who have to live your life.
  • Changed my mind about cats and got one of my own. Have managed to keep it alive.
  • Had an accident, saw the injustices inherent in the system, got bitter, got better, got over it.
  • Took a vacation alone. Embraced the solitude.
  • On a similar vein... got lost in the middle of unfamiliar land with no cell reception, no satellite reception, and no map. Kind of liked it.
  • Sort of figured out what I want and am totally okay with the parts of it that are anormal.
Things that I hope I'll do in the coming pre- scrabble-playing nursing home days:
  • See the other 18 states
  • Antarctica!
  • Get a master's degree in materials engineering
  • See the sun set over Icelandic glaciers from a ground-based vantage point.
  • Whatever else strikes my fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment