Monday, February 25, 2013

JoCo Cruise Crazy 3, Day 3

Hooray!  Sea day!

After the hectic embarkation day and slightly less hectic day in the Bahamas, we had a relaxing morning/afternoon with nothing scheduled until the concert at 2 PM. 

After breakfast, where we were thankfully seated far from the Dreamworks Character Breakfast, we explored the ship a bit, ending up far aft on the sports deck, where the Flow Rider surf simulator resides.  I had not the slightest inclination to try it because I figured that being bruised and achy wouldn't make for a very fun rest of the cruise.  It was fun to watch, though!


Incidentally, also a great non-crowded place on the ship
I didn't photograph anything else before lunch, so I'm guessing that we suited up and went in the hot tub and/or the Grown Ups Pool. I probably had some ice cream from the poolside softserve machine, named Sprinkles.  It does not have sprinkles.  

Before we knew it, it was time for concert number 3! This one featured Mike Phirman, John Roderick, and Zoe Keating. 
Every day is Mike Phirman's birthday. Now I know why.
I bought Jay an album by the Long Winters, which is basically John Roderick, in advance of the cruise.  I think he liked it.  And I think he really liked Roderick live, because in between songs, he leaned over and asked "is anything he does NOT awesome?"  The answer is very much no. He does nothing not awesome.  We were also treated to a new song by John Roderick, which was a pretty great surprise.  And, of course, no show would be complete without Roderick Tunes Things.  


Tuning like a ROCK star
And then there was Zoe Keating.  Zoe plays the cello.  Understatement of the year.  What she does is make interwoven threads of magic waft from her cello that entrance you into losing yourself in her music. She records loops live and adds/substracts them using her computer.  It's so seamless that you wouldn't notice that she was doing it live unless somebody told you first.

She's a magician!
We had a little time after the concert to stop by the 24/7 JCCC3 game room and peruse the various offerings and signage.  One of my favorite additions this year was analog Yelp.  Here are some of my favorites.  And you'd better believe I reviewed "Sprinkles," land of NO sprinkles!

"A Waste of Cool Whip."

"Technically it's food."
If you added enough crushed pepper, you didn't have to feel the pizza in your mouth.
Dinner was decidedly more food-like than the promenade pizza. Whenever a cold soup is offered on a cruise ship, I take it.  They're almost always delicious.  
Kind of like if melted ice cream were the salad course
The vegetarian fare so far was impressive, and Tuesday night was no exception. 

Spinach-stuffed shells
Finally, the only reason that anybody ever eats dinner (or maybe it's just me), dessert.  It was like a meringue except not except yes.  I don't know, it was fantastic. 

And pretty, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment